Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Apocalypsies Love! Book Review: Reunited by Hilary Weisman Graham


Apocalypsies Love is all about me telling you what I loved about a 2012 debut book written by one of the amazing Apocalypsies. I also chat with the author to gain insight into their very favorite parts of their creation.

Today I'm featuring REUNITED, a road trip book revolving around 3 ex-best friends who get back together to go see a concert by their favorite band, Level3. 




I love road trips and I love reading about them, so I was super excited for REUNITED. Here's a list of what I found so compelling about this novel:

1. The squirrel scene will likely be the funniest thing I read all year. Hilar!

2. I love the serendipity of road trips and how anything can happen. Sure, this particular road trip has its share of mishaps, but they ALL result in excellent stories to tell the grandkids one day.

3. The way these three girls friendship revolved around a band and then imploded around the time the band broke up resonates, and its fitting that Alice believes the band's reunification means it's time to patch up the friendship.

4. Each of the girls feels very distinct and fleshed out. I could easily sympathize with all of them.

5. There were so many awesome sentences - I had my highlighter handy and used it often.

6. The ending surprises but is so very cool.

And now, we hand the mike over to Hilary:



What is your favorite scene in the book?
My favorite scene in the book is the kissing scene in the van. But I’m not giving away any spoilers, so I won’t tell which of the girls finds romance on the road.

That was indeed a scene I will be rereading. What is your favorite line in the book?

“Her mother reached out and put her hand around Tiernan’s clenched fist, gripping it so tightly, Tiernan could feel the throb of her own pulse, as if Judy were holding her actual beating heart.”

I highlighted that one. What setting was most fun to write?

I really loved writing the scene at the swimming hole. It’s night, the girls are stuck in the middle of the woods with a bunch of strangers, and Alice’s internal monologue alternates between sheer terror and total hilarity.

Totally hilarious and cinematic. I can tell you're a screenwriter! Who is your favorite supporting character - one you could see getting a spin-off book - and why?

Well, I can easily see the boys in Level3 getting a spin-off book, (www.Level3theband.com) but the supporting character I most enjoyed writing was Quentin. Who could resist a boy that adorkable?

So adorkable. What has been your favorite part of your publishing journey so far?

It’s been such a long road, I’m really loving the fact that release day is finally here! And thanks to the many photographs people have shared with me, I get the thrill of seeing REUNITED pop up in stores all over the country.

Thanks Hilary!

Check out Hilary's website and add REUNITED to your Goodreads.

FTC disclosure: I received a galley of REUNITED from my editor at S&S (who is also Hilary's editor). I also bought a copy because I must have it on my shelf. I've eaten meals with Hilary on several occasions and she once called me the Bono of the YA world. 

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Road trips with friends are the best! This sounds great!

Katie said...

I cannot wait to read this one and I am dying to know about the squirrel scene now! I will have to get my hands on a copy of this one soon!

Liviania said...

This one sounds better and better the more I hear about it.

Mary @ BookSwarm said...

This one is sitting on my bedside table at the moment!! I can't wait to read it!

Anonymous said...

hi there grant sorry iv took so long this is there contact
and some info ,check out there great prices ,say I told you to ring